For the years ended, and at, December 31
(in millions unless otherwise stated except for per share data and ratios)
|Net interest income||$15,625||$14,239||$14,402|
|Interest and fees on loans||$16,881||$15,228||$15,950|
|Diluted earnings per share||$6.15||$7.34||$2.27|
|Common equity Tier 1 capital ratio||12.8%||15.6%||15.9%|
|Purchase volume (in billions)2||$180.2||$165.9||$139.1|
|Period-end active accounts (in thousands)3||70,763||72,420||68,540|
|Average active accounts (in thousands)3||68,627||67,334||67,131|
|Net interest margin4||15.63%||14.74%||14.29%|
|Net charge-off rate5||3.00%||2.92%||4.58%|
|30+ delinquency rate6||3.65%||2.62%||3.07%|
|Return on assets8||3.1%||4.5%||1.4%|
- Diluted weighted average common shares outstanding.
- Purchase volume, or net credit sales, represents the aggregate amount of charges incurred on credit cards or other credit product accounts less returns during the period. Purchase volume includes activity related to our portfolios classified as held for sale.
- Active accounts represent credit card or installment loan accounts on which there has been a purchase, payment or outstanding balance in the current month. Includes activity and accounts associated with loan receivables held for sale.
- Net interest margin represents net interest income divided by average interest-earning assets.
- Net charge-off rate represents net charge-offs as a percentage of average loan receivables, including those held for sale.
- Based on customer statement-end balances extrapolated to the respective period-end date.
- Efficiency ratio represents (i) other expense, divided by (ii) net interest income, plus other income, less retailer share agreements.
- Return on assets represents net earnings as a percentage of average total assets.